SailNet Community - View Single Post - Capsize, TF, spouses & bigger boats
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Capsize, TF, spouses & bigger boats

Hey let''s move the thread about bigger boats and such out of the CAPSIZE discussion.

I love to put in my 2 cents as much as nobody else wants to hear it....

I grew up with dingys and then a 19 foot full keel daysailor (McVay Minuette - similar to Victoria 18). I like small boats because I find them more fun to sail. I also find that much like the Peter Principle bigger is not always better. Eventually the boat will get big enough that it is difficult to handle without a larger crew and represents too big an investment to keep if it is not being used enough...

TF aside in my case it is my wife who always wants a bigger boat because that means more interior room. We started looking at a daysailor and she wanted a boat with a head. The 18 foot boat we initially talked about was purchased as a 23 foot boat. This opened up more possibilities and it is now a 26 foot boat. I am very happy with the way the boat sails but my wife now eyes the 30 footers ....

No I don''t think that it is just the guys that want the toys ... however as with all things the tings I want to improve on the boat do not always correspond to my spouses ideas... but enough so that we have one!

It''s been a fun topic even if a little off teh beaten track!

Regards,

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook