SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard - Houston/Galveston
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014

CaseyB is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard - Houston/Galveston

I have slipped at Waterford, and Seabrook. I am currently slipped in Galveston yaght Basin down on the island. I will be bringing my boat back up to Kemah for good at the end of the month. I draw 5,2 and have had a few winter days stuck in my slip at waterford. Have never been in the mud at Seabrook. I have found the air to be clean, the people friendly, and the sailing community superb. I find that if you are friendly respectful people, that you will have no problem finding friendly respectful people to hang out with. I do not find the water dirty, however the bay and clear lake have a mud bottom so the color reflected off of the bottom tends to be brownish.

My experience down in Galveston has been poor. Fish heads thrown into the marina from the fisherman, theft and breakins due to the lack of proper security and transiant shrimper population, lack of proper maintanance of docking facilities are a number of things that are causing me to come back up to Kemah. I love Kemah and my year stay down in Galveston has just reaffirmed those feelings.

As far as traffic goes...well there is really no good way to get to work (I work in Sugarland) but I suspect that is the case no matter where you live unless you live across the street from your employer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook