SailNet Community - View Single Post - How''s this boat sound for the money???
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2002

RjAndJessica is on a distinguished road
How''''s this boat sound for the money???

Jessica and I found what we THINK sounds like a good buy on a boat sitting down south. We plan to live aboard so we need something big enough for us and our two dogs. Here''s the specs...Year Built: 1977

Type: Motorized conversion of a Bruce Roberts design 49’ ketch

Gross Tons: 28

Engine: 80hp Lehman Model 254 diesel engine

Length: 48.7 Breadth: 13.2 Depth: 9.0 Draft Loaded: 5’9”

Builder: Donald Van Abbema – Channahon, Illinois

LOA: 50’
LWL: 47’

Ballast: 5,000# (cast iron/lead)

Freeboard: 6’6” Forward, 5’9” Midship, 7’2” Aft

NRT: 16

Gen. Desc.: Composite construction, wooden hull, decks, superstructure with fiberglass overlay, motor sailor hull, motor yacht with diesel inboard propulsion.

Tanks: 2-200gal diesel, 400gal water, 18gal day tank, msd 100gal fixed and 9gal portable, lpg: 2-30gal

We haven''t seen her yet but are in contact with the owner and have seen photos. She''s being refitted right now, with some done and plenty left to do. From what we''re told, the main berth is nearly ready, as is the galley and I believe the head. We''re told that most all the parts for the refit are already bought and it''s just a matter of doing the work.

This is our first boat and we want to be able to take her to the Caribbean and Mexico in the future. Is the draft suitable for down there? Anyone see any pitfalls I should watch for, or are there any questions I should ask? There''s a 1996 survey done we need to have faxed to us, and I''m sure seeing her in person will tell us even more. Looks great from the pics!

Just wanted everyone''s opinion we can get. Sounds like a deal to us at 20K.

Thanks!

Rj and Jessica
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook