SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

"Have a good day bob!

Marty"

I did have a good day Marty. It started around 6 am when I found out that I had a new grandson, Drake Shaw Perry. That was pretty exciting news. The gene pool is going to be just fine.

Then I went sailing on FRANCIS. I took my neighbor, a doctor, with us. John, the doctor, is an extremely intelligent guy and has done some sailing. I had this feeling that he would be able to comprehend just how unique and perfect FRANCIS is. It worked. When I told him to take the tiller he went into shock.

We sailed at 9 knots+ consistantly without any effort at all. We began hitting 10 knots and saw as much as 11.3 knots. All of this was in about 14 knots TWS. The boat is amazing. Delicate on the helm and eels great when it accelerates. With that much boat sped you are pulling the TWA forward all the time. It takes a while to get used to that.

The bad news is that with our aramid fibre backstay we are getting a harmonic hum at about 9.5 knots. We will address this with some "funny fixes" and if they don't work we will go to a Navtec rod backstay.

It was pretty eye opening to just zoom around the bay, play with the boats racing and then zoom off again with so little effort required.

I could get used to liking this boat.
"Fast is fun".

The really great news is that Kim's wonderful wife Susan came with us today. She was very comfortable. At one point, when my neighbor Dr. John was steering we wanted to jibe. Kim said, "a gentle jibe". I said, "Hell with that. Slam it over. I want to see what happens." John tried to slam it over but with 63' LOA to jibe the boat just slid through the jibe with no fuss and we had a ton of time to handle the main. When we had completed the jib Kim's wife said, Is that all there is to it?" Or something kind of like that. Susan is not sure she wants a dodger now. She likes the boat. (designer breathes sigh of relief.)

A very good day.
Welcome to earth Drake Shaw Perry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook