Old 04-12-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsunmandelin View Post
reconize this boat, i have always wanted to meet you, your boats rock brent
Thanks
I remember building Pearl Song for Will. We built the shell on Quadra Island. Getting steel to Quadra was not all that expensive , but to Cortes, where Will and his family lived, was super expensive. So we turned the steel into a shell ( hull, decks, cabin, cockpit, keel rudder and skeg) in 12 days, and floated her over to Will's back yard on Cortes, where he finished her. Evan did his apprenticeship on her. Will and his family ( Wife and three kids, one in diapers) were picking clams for a living. He had just enough money for the shell. 5 years later they were cruising Mexico, an example of what can be done on a super low income.
I windjammed my last boat for several years on the BC coast, including the Gulf Islands and Tahiti, before putting an engine in her. One compensation for the glassy, windlessness of the Gulf |Islands, where one can spend days in an open anchorage without a breath of wind, is when the wind dies, no swell lasts for long.It quickly becomes a very comfortable glassy smooth, and you can throw light kedge out anywhere you can hit bottom. Another is it is never very far to the next fully protected anchorage. You can also go a long way in a glassy calm, by timing the currents.
When Will left Cabo , into a strong NW wind ,he covered 1066 miles in 6 days. He then broke the top 1/3rd off the box section of his wooden mast (using fittings I had warned him against) He still beat a Colvin Gazelle into Hawaii, which had left the same time as him ,by many days.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-15-2014 at 07:33 PM.