SailNet Community - View Single Post - How''s this boat sound for the money???
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
How''''s this boat sound for the money???

Wow...I don''t know where to start...I am sure and hope others will add comments.

Did you see the movie "Cap''t Ron". It sounds like that boat might be in better condition that the one you are looking at....(sorry ..just a joke, but I am partly serious)

Are you VERY VERY handy and understand lots of things like Diesel engines, refrigeration, wood/fiberglass working? Well I think you better be, because I feel there will be a lot of systems that will need to be fixed or upgraded in a boat of this vintage.

You ABSOLUTELY need a new survey done by your own *qualified* surveyor. (Do not use the one recomended by the selling broker). 6 years can be a long time for a wooden boat that is 25 years old and maybe not taken care of (did you say the whole boat has a fiberglass overlay?).

A boat that big for that little money sounds like its going to be a huge money pit at the least, and a potentially dangerous vessel at the worst.

And not to pick on you. But isn''t a 49 foot boat just a bit too large for your 1st boat. I think it would be a mistake. You haven''t listed your boating experience, but I think this boat would be too much for almost anyone for a first boat, with all the hassles (and expense) involved. I would ask a LOT of people their opinion on this one.

Read this article right here on sailnet ( Its called "You''ve Bought the Wrong Boat" go here --->> http://www.sailnet.com/collections/articles/index.cfm?articleid=jkrets002 ) to give yourself an idea of what you are getting yourself into. And this guy had a lot of money and still ended up unhappy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook