SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What to wear?

6K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  SailorPam 
#1 ·
Ladies,

Here's a question for you... I'm going sailing near Seattle soon and have no idea what to wear since I'm a bit of a non-seasoned sailor at this point in time. I want to look good but be comfortable and not look like a fish out of water or a tourist. What to pack/bring since space is limited and I don't want to look as high maintenance as I think I might be?

Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Happy sailing! :cool:

#2 ·
T shirt and Bermuda shorts or cotton capris and Sebago spinnakers. No jewelry, or make up... and a simple hair style. A hooded jacket, water resistant is better and something to put on when it cools down in the evening... a cotton sweater or a hooded sweatshirt.

#4 ·
I'd recommend you avoid any cotton clothes, as they are very cold when wet and take a relatively long time to dry. Synthetics are probably a better idea. You might want to look at some of the other clothing threads for a variety of suggestions.

#6 ·
Cotton Kills! Try a technical shirt, wicking material. A Dryshirt or something similar. If you're looking for absolutely great gear, you should go Musto. A little less $, try Henri Lloyd. They have great women's gear that looks like you know how to sail but not like a boy! I got mine at Sailing Pro Shop in California, but they have a website too, sailingproshop.com Don't forget a hat for the bad hair days!!

#8 ·
So SAILBABE, how was the trip???

Glad to see multiple people told you to stay away from cotton. The snide ME was going to say "string bikini", but the practical ME would just second some of the very good responses you got above. Hope you had fun. Any pics of the trip?

#10 ·
naturals and moderns

Silk, wool, and synthetics.
Silk is great next to the skin, and not as expensive as you might think.
Wool is for the tenth day of cold and wet, when you're really tired of plastic.
Synthetics are the best though: light, they dry quickly, warm.
Lots of choices. (No cotton of course).
Oz

#11 ·
Theres really only one name in sailing gear for me , after buying several sets of foulies and spending good money after bad go with 'Gill" its the best. Its not cheap but its worth it. Yet again the old addage rings true "you get what you pay for".Dont be a mugg like me and try buying cool looking threads that say "looks like a sailor" but leave you with pockets full of saltwater and send you on an endless quest for clean dry undies. Go Gill -stay warm n toasty out there.

#12 ·
Polar fleece is my best friend in Oregon weather. It comes in a variety of weights, doesn't absorb moisture, and keeps me warm. And it's easy to take care of. I currently sail on a lake that sits at 5000' altitude. So every morning when I get up on board to take the pups ashore for their "constitutional" the dinghy is damp (understatement). I wipe it down with a shammy and then my polar fleece keeps me comfy. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.