SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice-Puerto Rico to Galveston in May
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014

andyv94 is on a distinguished road
Need advice-Puerto Rico to Galveston in May

I am sailing my HC'33 from Fajardo PR. to Galveston and I want it to get your opinions on what the best way to get to Galveston would be.

I am not trying to break speed records or anything like that and myself and my crew would like to be able to make stops along the way.

It looks like it will be pretty much a down wind run with the current for most of the trip. (am I wrong?)

We have talked about sailing towards Islas Mujeres as our last stop before doing the jump across the Gulf. Other folks have advised to sail to the Keys and do the crossing from there.

Out train of thought has been to leave Fajardo stopping one night in San Juan then heading towards the east side of Dominican Republic (stopping there for a night or two) then heading to Caicos (just because it is so beautiful) from Caicos making our way towards Cayman Islands stopping there as well before cruising towards Islas Mujeres.

OR

Going the western way thru DR, Jamaica (stopping there as well although don't feel too comfortable doing that) Cayman Islands, Islas Mujeres, Galveston!!

Is the crossing from the Keys faster then crossing from Islas Mujeres?

Would love to know what you all think and if you guy have any pointers or advice I would love to hear it!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook