SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery life?
Thread: Battery life?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007
tidepoolpaddleboater

britcoal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to britcoal Send a message via MSN to britcoal
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
If your pump is only running 5 seconds each cycle I would find a way to lengthen that. Once the pump starts you want it to run for at least a few minutes. Your pump motor draws much more power starting than it does running so your battery will not last as long. It is hard on the little motor too, as it will get hot.
I have noticed that there is not a very large flow of water to the bilge pumps.. which is to say, when the pump comes on, the small section of the bilge which houses the pump is almost emptied out of water, and other sections (above and below the ribs directly forward and reverse of the pump) do not quickly drain into the pumps area.. the result is 5 seconds of pump action, followed by a slow process of water trickling/seeping/running to the lowest point (the bilge pump).. Eventually, the pump comes on again, but the procedure is repeated for another 5 seconds.

Is this a huge issue? The only thing I can see as a possible solution is figuring a way to drill larger "drain holes" on the bottom of the ribs between the ribs and chine(?). There is already a tiny amount of space there, obviously, but perhaps a 1/4 inch drill bit would help increase flow.. or all this is beyond necessary, I don't know.

At the end of the day, this is a launch issue, and once she swells up there is next to no leaking of any kind. Suggestions anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook