SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery life?
Thread: Battery life?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007
tidepoolpaddleboater

britcoal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to britcoal Send a message via MSN to britcoal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whampoa View Post
I'm curious about your hull construction. Can you be any more specific about her being strip planked?..

..Did you get a good idea of where the water was coming in from as she was taking up?
Whampoa,

The inflow of water has definitely ceased now, since it has been 4 days now. It was out of the water for almost three years so I did expect a lot of leaking initially.. most of the water was coming in through the cracks between planks. Some were merely seeping but there was a few spots where you could see a couple millimeters of actual water (i.e. you could see "through" the boat). These all closed up relatively quickly in my eyes, though I am not an expert and I am learning as I go.

However, for a boat that is older than 40, I'm pretty impressed. It is a Dickerson Ketch made on the Chesapeake in the early 60's. If I recall the survey, it is 2"(?) mahogany planks that are glued, nailed, and screwed. That sounded like overkill to me, but perhaps I've been reading about smaller boats like kayaks that are often only glued, for example. As far as your comment, re: "nailed from a series of square strips of apprx. thickness" - this sounds exactly correct. I am 100% certain she is stripped and not carvel. There is some sort of caulking (or glue?) but it is certainly not cotton - it is dark gray/black.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook