SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery life?
Thread: Battery life?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007
tidepoolpaddleboater

britcoal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to britcoal Send a message via MSN to britcoal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whampoa View Post
I have friends who have a 40' Dickerson that is strip planked out of mahogany..

..Do you know what kind of fasteners she is nailed with?
She was actually stored dry indoors for ~10 years during the 80's. The boy who grew up on the boat became a doctor and, right before his dad was to cut the boat up (as you can imagine its state) the kid said he wanted to restore it for nostalgia. In 1992 it got a complete overhaul and all the normal issues with Dickersons were addressed as well (keel bolts were replaced with bronze, etc etc).

Or at least this is how the story goes. It was then owned by my neighbours for ~8 years but they bought a Pearson 35 and I got a wheel of a deal (well, until it starts to eat away at the wallet).

The fasteners are silicone screws I think and I'm not sure about the nails. It is all written down in a notebook I am keeping (so much information, gah!) but I can't recall exactly right now.

Out of curiosity, do your friends with the 40' Dickerson have any stand out comments about the boat (good and bad?). I'd be interested to hear some real-world discussion. Is it a center cockpit? They seemed to make an awful lot of those after the 60's and especially when they started to move to fiber.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook