SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Head-Mate" Seaclos Rebuild?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Have you checked the hoses for clogs? That could be a reason for the water not coming in. I've seen barnacles close off the water intake through-hull in at least one case.
Well, it wouldn't be barnacles. Not in freshwater . However it very well could be weeds. But, like I said, this thing was pumping anaemically, most of the time, all along--even for a little marine head. Okay, I'll have to track-down how water gets to the thing and... uh... run a snake or something down the line?

The other thing is that the pump just feels kinda... "loose." You know, not a lot of "pumping" feel to it. Even when "flushing." That's why I figured it needed a rebuild. New rings or whatever.

Quote:
If you decide to replace the head, I would highly, highly recommend that you replace all the hoses at the same time. And I would recommend if you replace the hoses that you use Sealand OdorSafe hose for the output hoses... since it is the most resistant to odor permeation.
I'll take that under advisement. Thanks.

Quote:
As for replacement versus rebuilding... if you have the budget, I would recommend going with a Lavac head, rather than just rebuilding this head. The Lavac is far more reliable a unit, and has far fewer problems, since it has far fewer moving parts.
I knew about the Lavac. Dunno if I can convince the Admiral to spend another USD300 just now. We've been spending money like it's water, lately.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-31-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook