SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Head-Mate" Seaclos Rebuild?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Oh, it's already warm enough for that. Water temps in Lake St. Clair are running 75-77 F atm.

True. Will also be handy for un-fouling the prop, and perhaps the knot meter spinner. The knot meter got nailed by weeds as we were coming up the canal. My wife (was at the helm at the time) all-of-a-sudden says "Zero knots?" I took a look and replied "Weeds."

Tho the knot meter spinner is actually designed to be removed from the hull from the inside, for just this reason. The surveyor pointed out the plug that came with it, told us what it was for and how to use it. Says that if we do it right, we won't end up letting more than a pint or so of water in.

Which reminds me: I have to pick up several more emergency plugs and fasten 'em near each of the thru-hulls.

*sigh* I guess it's about time to make the "To Do" list and get it prioritized.

Thing is: If I sucked something up with the pump, an outside inspection may well fail to reveal it. So that's why I'm wondering how I can check the hose all the way back to the thru-hull.

Jim
You could always remove the internal hose, and put a longer straight hose on the the seacock, then with the hose above waterline, open the seacock.... and use a long stick or wire down the hose to clear the obstruction... that would removed the need to dive on it.

BTW, if you do get the plugs, put them in a plastic bag and attach the bag to the through hull with a line. Also, drill a small hole through the thickest portion of the plug, so you can use that same line to tie the plug in place in an emergency. The reason for the plastic bag is simple—softwood plugs are designed to swell up when they get wet and help seal them into the through-hull—so, you want to keep them dry until they are used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook