SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving to with just the main?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
It really depends on the boat. I could not heave to well with my Bene Oceanis 423 unless in really low wind (where heave to is not that important anyway). Than I realised that my bow is relatively high - so I used much less jib than main. In more wind just main alone (reefed of course) was just good and I needed no head sail.
My fin keel & spade rudder boat does not heave to as good as some full keel boats. She is also moving a bit faster (2 to 3 knots SOG were usually observed on GPS). It helped me on a few occasions where I had handicapped (seasick) and/or inexperienced crew, so we could rest a bit and made something to eat. But it was 25 - 30 knots max at that time.
Later I read a boat review in Blue Water Sailing magazine and they also recommended heave to on main alone for a 423.
Your Passport have a bit shallower but longer keel and skeg rudder - so it may behave differently. Experiment, but note the what works in 20 knots may not work at 40.
I never had a problem of my boat to tack. There was just not enough speed. It did "dance" a little in a gust, but never did the speed build up enough to enable the tack. I had my rudder hard over (all the way) in most occasions, only once it felt better with a bit less than all the way over - can't explain why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook