SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartplotter at the nav station
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Chartplotter at the nav station

Hey,

Once you start looking into electronics, even for units 2-3 years old, things can quickly spiral out of control.

My own view is that chart plotters were mounted down below because that's where the 'navigator' worked and he would need it there. I don't believe that's how it works anymore and I certainly want the plotter at the helm where I can use it while actually sailing.

You mentioned 'repeater,' what do you mean by that? Typically, a repeater will display information like boat speed, depth, wind information, and maybe lat / lon and even waypoint information (bearing, distance, time, etc.). If that's what you want you should be able to add a repeater, like the i70, which could display lots and lots of information. The downside of that is cost - the i70 is around $500 and then you would need the appropriate networking cables.

If you want to see the chartplotter display, then you really need another or new plotter.

Personally, I would just move the C70 up to the helm and be done with it. If you want information down below then use an old, cheap laptop, or a tablet with GPS or buy a cheap plotter.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook