SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Dad did logistics planning in WW2. Would not talk about it much. Best I could gather got dropped off on S. Pacific island with another grunt ( he was master sarg. at the time). Scouted, radioed and then got picked up when Allied forces liberated the island. Said he saw the Japanese do horrific things to the native islanders. Ended up hating them more then the Germans although he saw some of their horrors working for Wild Bill after the war. I got to know first generation here - much remorse, nice people - can't generalize.
I was in the Peace Corps and lived on Guadalcanal. So I know the stories firsthand (e.g. - Jacob Vouza). The interesting thing was we PC volunteers worked side-by-side with our equivalent Japanese volunteers (young people just like us).

We had a blast hanging out together. They were sweet, fun people.

I was also there for the 50th anniversary of the battle - when veterans from both sides came in for the ceremonies. Now THAT was interesting...former enemies coming together. For the most part, by-gones were by-gones. There were shared stories and tears - and just great old men letting it go.

It was pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40