SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel tank Replacement
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007
Sometimes a Member

richnren is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank Replacement

Brewer's, South Freeport, replaced the tank in my '87 Sheel keel 34 this winter.

Here's how they got the rods out: two people worked at the same time, one on the nut on each end of the rod. Together they screwed the nuts towards each other. They then pushed the rod one way until the other end came out of the hole.

They took the opportunity to repair a small delamination on the forward side of the stringer at the aft end of the tank, check the keel bolts, and replace the fuel hoses.

In my boat the big problem was that the replacement tank (fiberglass, made by PSC) was too big for the space. It took MANY hours of fitting and grinding to get the tank in place. Also, much of the work took two people due to the size and weight of the tank and the confined space in which the work was performed.

In addition, the new tank is taller, so that the threaded rods will no longer serve to hold the tank in place (in fact I had to make a divot on the bottom of the hatch to make space for the fuel gauge).

Currently, the tank is not held down, but we're working on a solution, which will probably entail a flat metal strap or two, screwed into the sides of the structure.

Had the tank fitted properly, it would have been a quick and easy job. As it was, it was grueling and expensive. The end result will be worth it, as I won't have to worry about this tank as long as I own the boat - may that be a LONG time!

Rich
Invicta, PSC 34 #69
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook