SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I share the information that one can cruise without needing a lot of money, for which elitists, and those selling overpriced and inferior boats and equipment , are constantly attacking me.

Those who use resourcefulness and innovation instead of money are probably a tiny percentage of the marina queen crowd you meet in marinas, especially in Brazil, but they are over 95% of the people I meet here out cruising full time, who never tie up in marinas , who marina occupants are unlikely to meet all that often ,and who don't believe in giving up the cost of full time cruising for a lifestyle which involves working 11 months a year while their boats lie dormant in a marina. The marina crowd's cruising is made up of getting drunk in a yacht club bar, while spouting cruising advice for those who do what the marina queen crowd keep giving uninformed advice on , to those who are actually doing what the marina crowd keep talking about ,but only do a month or less a year.

My posts are aimed at people who cruise in Canada, where there is a large percentage of people who are neither rich nor poor, unlike some countries where there are only super rich or desperately poor, and the former never meeting the latter , convince themselves that they don't exist..

Lately I have been meeting increasing numbers of people over 70 who are cruising full time, year round, and don't stay in marinas for the winters, if ever.
95% of whom are other bitter, resentful, dumpster-diving hermits, would be my guess...