SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartplotter at the nav station
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Chartplotter at the nav station

Hey,

To each his own.

I certainly don't want instruments mounted so high that they block sight, or will get grabbed or otherwise broken.

I like to have the plotter near the wheel so I can easily use it for the task at hand. If I'm racing I want to see distance and time to waypoints. If I'm anchoring I want to see the SONAR display. If I'm just daysailing I might not even turn it on. If I'm cruising and in bad visibility or at night or in a crowded area I want to see AIS targets. I don't want to have to move back and forth between the pedestal and the companionway to make changes.

The plotter on my O'day is 5" Lowrance unit. MyC&C has a Garmin 7". Neither one takes up much space. The O'day has the wind, speed, and depth instruments mounted above the companionway. They are old Datamarine units and can be a little hard to read. The C&C has Raymarine ST60 units mounted in the bulkhead at the forward end of the cockpit, next to the companionway.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Which is a discussion in and of itself. I think the stack of electronics on the pedestal so common today is ill-advised. Instruments should be forward, preferably over the companionway where they can be seen from anywhere in the cockpit. A chartplotter should be under the dodger preferably to port.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook