SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's wrong w/ Southeast Asia
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
That's simply not true, Dog.

Indonesia is probably the only place I would not recommend-they've just never been too friendly to Americans.

As the Wombat says, the distances are probably the biggest issue. but one could spend years just exploring the Phillipines alone. Westerners, especially Americans, are genuinely liked and it is difficult to not have a good time there.

The recent unpleasantness in Viet Nam has not prevented visitors from being welcomed and enjoying a good visit.

Unfamiliarity with the peoples and culture may account for much of the reticience.
Sway,
It's really only parts of Indonesia that are a problem. Too many people make the mistake of thinking of Indonesia as some kind of homogeneous society when it fact it's made up of a number of religous and ethnic groups many of whom have bugger all in common with each other. Unfortunately many of the areas that would most interest me are not open to foreigners, Iryan Jaya being the obvious example.

On the other hand I reckon the Philipines is the more interesting destination with Vietnam not far behind.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook