SailNet Community - View Single Post - would you buy used AGMs?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: would you buy used AGMs?

After having used T-105 golf carts for more than 20 years, last year in August I replaced all my house batteries with Crown industrial golf-cart batteries. They are rated at 235AH each. I also replaced my Group 31 starting battery, again using Crown. Total cost for six golf carts and one group 31 was $752, including 6% sales tax (at Stevens Battery Warehouse in Annapolis).

Crown batteries are made in the US (OH, I believe) and are of excellent quality.

So far so good. Will be doing periodic testing of these as the season progresses.

Bill

FWIW, Deka (East Penn) and all its brands have been having some problems of late. I wouldn't buy them right now. For example, about 12 AGM batteries in the local West Marine store -- of different sizes, from little ones to big ones -- ALL had resting voltages FAR BELOW what you would expect for batteries dated 1-3 months previous. Furthermore, they would not take a charge properly. Have no idea what the problem is/was, but it's clear there WAS a problem, as others have reported.

B.

Last edited by btrayfors; 04-17-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook