SailNet Community - View Single Post - to be a marine surveyor
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
to be a marine surveyor

Ok here is the story at this time I am a beach bum sailor stranded in the Midwest it donít get much worse and I want to spend the rest of my life as a live aboard and cruiser from time to time. Here is a little about my background I am twenty-three and am an industrial maintenance mechanic / electrician / machinist aka millwright. I have vast knowledge of mechanical engineering and a fair amount of knowledge about hydrodynamics from time working with boilers pumps and refrigeration. I have always loved the water and boats my first boat I built at age fourteen a eighteen foot wood runabout with a fourth five hp Chrysler outboard followed by a forty two foot well craft Aruba that was bought for twenty five hundred dollars and after one year and three thousand invested it was sold for seventeen thousand four hundred. A fair profit I thought. I now have a twenty two foot Macgregor and love sailing and tinkering with the boat witch I think may be the most automated 22í boat on the planet with homemade self steering and atv winches with encoders mounted on them running through a Allen Bradley plc running both main and jib halyards and the main sheet. I am working on a voice control to run the system through a laptop. So I think that I am close to being knowledgeable enough about boats and there systems to advise buyers and sellers to the conditions and expenses involved in a boat but I also know that I have a lot to learn. I have done some research an how to become a marine surveyor and not had much luck I would like to live on the gulf coast. I lived in Galveston Texas for a bit and loved it. As of yet I have not found a school that has such a curriculum and would love any ideas on how to get into this field. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Tony
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook