SailNet Community - View Single Post - to be a marine surveyor
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-03-2007 Thread Starter
to be a marine surveyor

Ok here is the story at this time I am a beach bum sailor stranded in the Midwest it donít get much worse and I want to spend the rest of my life as a live aboard and cruiser from time to time. Here is a little about my background I am twenty-three and am an industrial maintenance mechanic / electrician / machinist aka millwright. I have vast knowledge of mechanical engineering and a fair amount of knowledge about hydrodynamics from time working with boilers pumps and refrigeration. I have always loved the water and boats my first boat I built at age fourteen a eighteen foot wood runabout with a fourth five hp Chrysler outboard followed by a forty two foot well craft Aruba that was bought for twenty five hundred dollars and after one year and three thousand invested it was sold for seventeen thousand four hundred. A fair profit I thought. I now have a twenty two foot Macgregor and love sailing and tinkering with the boat witch I think may be the most automated 22í boat on the planet with homemade self steering and atv winches with encoders mounted on them running through a Allen Bradley plc running both main and jib halyards and the main sheet. I am working on a voice control to run the system through a laptop. So I think that I am close to being knowledgeable enough about boats and there systems to advise buyers and sellers to the conditions and expenses involved in a boat but I also know that I have a lot to learn. I have done some research an how to become a marine surveyor and not had much luck I would like to live on the gulf coast. I lived in Galveston Texas for a bit and loved it. As of yet I have not found a school that has such a curriculum and would love any ideas on how to get into this field. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome