SailNet Community - View Single Post - would you buy used AGMs?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: would you buy used AGMs?

I would not buy used batteries of any kind unless they were very close to free or I knew exactly what had been done to them. Right now AGM batteries are my least favorite types anyway. IMHO they would not exist except they are drop-in replacements for airplane and car starting batteries. Gels would die of overcharging in most cars and airplanes. Other than lack of tolerance for high voltage I find gels superior in every way. My 4D gel house battery lasted over a DECADE and the 4D AGM that replaced it is not doing real well at year 5. I found a gel U1 starting battery once on our recycle pile and gave it a try. This battery was 4 years old, dead, and on the trash pile. I got 6 years out of that one too after a charge

* if anyone just has to have AGMs, group 31 AGMs are a big thing now for trucks that are not allowed to idle while parked. Sam's Club has them for something like $167 or so. They are East-Penn Dekas and are MUCH cheaper than the Worst Marine ones, which are the same with another decal stuck on.

EDIT - batteries are expensive and heavy. No one is taking them out just on a whim - they had to suck to get someone motivated to haul all that lead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 04-18-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook