SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring Rights
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007

sharia is on a distinguished road
I joined just so i could reply to this thread. I live aboard in Annapolis with my partner and 7 year old. We live aboard because we like to sail and we like the lifestyle, and it affords us the opportunity to live on the water without making a lot of money, ( i earn about $15 an hour) we have cruised in the past and will do so again in a year or two. We live on a 45 foot sloop that is by no means derelict, nor would it be the model in a Ralph Lauren photo shoot, its a working boat, its well taken care of, cleaned and waxed and painted and polished,we sail every weekend and sometimes in the middle of the week. We live in a marina because we have the facilities here that allow us to live softly. Here on back creek there have been a number of " derelict" boats that the harbormaster cleared out last year, and well he should have, there was often no one living permanently on board, they were an eyesore , and everytime the wind blew up they drifted into other boats, they did not use the pump outs, they held loud drinking parties etc etc etc. I am all for free anchoring rights, and think it is a great shame that our rights are being infringed upon because of the acts of a few people. If we lived in an apartment my neighbor would not have the right to create a disturbance that affected me, why should boaters be any different? i disagree with the its my house i own the view outlook, but this is a community we live in and people need to respect the rights of others. we need perhaps to police ourselves more and be proactive in the erosion of our anchoring rights, yes its unfair that the wealthy have better access to anything, including politicians, but thats the way it is, has always been. my view is that you should keep your boat in a seaworthy state, just as your neighbor should keep their house, it costs money, sometimes everything i earn, but i knew that going in, 10 years ago. live in the community, if the community does not fit in with your ideals, move, thats why you own a boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook