SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard Marinas in Florida
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
Still a few diehards around. I can be done with research.

If you want liveaboard dockage in south florida you are going to have to do a little work. What has made South Florida desireable, the abmviance, the laid back attitude and the many many many beautiful boats docked along the roads and byways. Big real estate has eaten or docks and it's getting tight. Get in a car and drive through the high liveabloard areas. 15 St., Isle of Venice, Hendricks Isle, Sailboat bend and the new river. Knock on doors, read newspaper ads. It's still here and as good as ever, just a little under the radar. I have lived aboard for over 20 years and will not change my lifestyle. I have crossed the atlantic and became an expert on cruising the
Bahamas and Carribean. I like it here. Go for a sail, have a rum drink and relax. Don't let anyone spoil your dream, it is alive. Mike, Fort Lauderdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What part of Florida, what type of sailboat?

If you are thinking about living aborad in SE Fl, dream on unless you have a lot of money to buy a house and stick your boat behind it. There are some marinas, but there are not a lot.

On the SW side of Florida, it is better - but not a whole lot better. There are several marinas you can liveaboard, but the fees are quite high (I think it averages around $17/foot/month), and you will be restricted by mast height and how much you draw. The bridges on SW Fl ICW are 55'.

I have not liveaboard or cruised NE or NW Florida, but understand Pensacola is quite nice from friends of ours that did.

You might really consider spending most of your time on the hook. Marinas are over rated, expensive, and unneccesary in many areas.

Give me some thoughts and what you want to do (specifics), I will give you some ideas on how to go about it.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook