SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Recommended and essential gear?

4K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  bestfriend 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a good link to a list of essential and recommended gear for a typical 30' weekender? I'd like lists broken down (if available) into categories such as deck hardware, electronics, safety equipment, galley, head, etc.

I'd like to take the lists and research typical prices for replacement items so I can better assess how good a "deal" some project boats might be that I'm looking at.

I realize that the lists will vary greatly by boat model and size, but I'm only looking for a starting point for now and a more generalized list would be suitable at this stage.

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Does anyone have a good link to a list of essential and recommended gear for a typical 30' weekender? I'd like lists broken down (if available) into categories such as deck hardware, electronics, safety equipment, galley, head, etc.

I'd like to take the lists and research typical prices for replacement items so I can better assess how good a "deal" some project boats might be that I'm looking at.

I realize that the lists will vary greatly by boat model and size, but I'm only looking for a starting point for now and a more generalized list would be suitable at this stage.
Hmm...

Safety Gear:

PFDs for each person aboard-preferably with strobe, whistle and retroreflective patches
Type IV throwable PFD
LifeSling2 optional but highly recommended
Flares, four handheld red, four handheld white, four parachute red, preferably SOLAS rated.
Horn-preferably two, one mouth powered, one compressed air powered-I like the EcoHorn which uses compressed air and is re-fillable with an ordinary bicycle pump
Safety Harnesses for each person, particularly if singlehanding at all
Safety Tethers for each person, particularly if singlehanding at all
Jacklines
Navigation lights, deck level
Masthead Tricolor, optional, but recommended for offshore use
Anchor light
Radar Reflector
Fire Extinguishers, at least two Type I, but preferably three Type II

Deck Gear:

Windlass,
bow chocks,
cleats,
bow roller,
stanchions and lifelines,
docklines with chafe protection,
fenders,

Electronics:

VHF radio
GPS chartplotter
Backup GPS unit, handheld with spare batteries preferably
RADAR, if operating in areas with prevalent fog, like Maine

Galley:

Nesting pots
Stove
Pressure Cooker
Cooler, Ice Box or refrigerator

Head:

Towels
Toilet Paper in waterproof holder
Soap
Shampoo
Solar Shower, if no hot pressure water on boat

#8 ·
Weekender right? Party of 4? ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
60 lbs of ice minimum (it melts fast as much as you open the cooler)<O:p></O:p>
(3) 18 packs of Corona<O:p></O:p>
(2) Limes<O:p></O:p>
(2) 750 ML of good gold tequila<O:p></O:p>
(4) Quart size Cuervo margarita mix (2 parts mix and 1 part liquor is the best ratio)<O:p></O:p>
(1) Salt rimmer with the little hat lid<O:p></O:p>
(1) 750 ML of Grand Mariner (you are on the boat and want nothing but top shelf margaritas or generic substitute since you spend all the money on the boat. There a re a couple good ones out there)<O:p></O:p>
Several bags of chips and dips (seven layer bean is my must have)<O:p></O:p>
Oh. And if the wife is going some salad stuff so you can say you ate something green<O:p></O:p>
That should do it. And since you are not leaving the dock because you certainly can't actually get behind the wheel or tiller in the shape you will be in be sure to carry the phone number of the local pizza place that delivers to the dock in case someone thinks you need a little more than chips and dip to eat.
Make sure you keep the plastic grocery bags. they work real neet to catch the barf if you just put the handle around your ears.

#9 ·
You can put all this and 4 people on a 27 foot boat? And after everything is said and done you forgot the rum.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

#11 · (Edited)
I thought the Excell spreadsheet Mr. Gainer posted covered everything required for an ocean crossing, but on looking again at the "Food & Supplies" list noticed the absence of Rum, or is it considered a "medicinal fluid". Come to think of it, probably don't need to put it on the list, kinda like fuel, you always know about how much you got aboard.

#13 ·
Excluding Spiced Rum there are only three main types of Rum, white, golden and dark but if you consider the variety of brands and flavors of Rum and its accoutrements I found it necessary to have a workbook just for tracking this item. In that workbook is a spreadsheet for each brand to allow for stowing and tracking the verities and an additional sheet for the different types of coke and everything else that is necessary to enjoy the Rum. :rolleyes:

I am interested in hearing if there are other items that should be included in my workbook. It is a very fluid work and growing. The medical page and the survey page are not original with me but are copied from elsewhere on the web.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

#19 ·
There's no need for a list as there are NO good deals on a "project boat". In 35 years of boating I've yet to see a project boat cost less, in the end, than a well maintained example of the same boat.
The reason I have a list is so that my project boats do make sense. I buy at a good price and sell at a good price. I track all expenses and labor and only buy boats that need the type of work I can do instead of boats that need expensive contracted labor. Including parts and my labor most boats are sold at a profit.

The Tartan 34C I am working on now is my personal boat and I live aboard. I am spending more on her then I would if she was just a project boat. But even including that I will probably come close to break even when I sell her unless I keep her too long and everything that is now new becomes old and worn.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

#20 ·
Almost all my trips are single-handed and I already have too much stuff onboard so no room for unneeded gear.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

PS. Single-handed as in running the boat by myself, not as in using one hand.

#24 ·
What is a pit stick?
Thanks,
Robert Gainer

#23 ·
While Robert's excel spreadsheet is excellent, I think it is a bit over kill for a weekender boat. The booze isn't an essential for most sailors, so I've left it off the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.