SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wauquiez 38
Thread: Wauquiez 38
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Wauquiez 38

Hi

I took possession of a 1985 Wauquiez Hood 38 Mark II this past March and could not be happier with the boat. She is a strong and fast sailor and very comfortable and spacious down below.

Wauquiez made two models of the "Hood 38", the early Mark I and the later Mark II. The Centurion is a different boat by a different designer as is the Amphora.

The Hood 38 was of course designed by Ted Hood and is a sistership to the Bristol 38.8 and Little Harbor Hood 38. I believe they were built by Wauquiez between 1979 and 1989. The boat is a moderate to heavy displacement, shallow draft Keel/CB design. She is rated for unlimited offshore by the French. The only significant difference between the Mark I and II models is that the Mark I has a Baltic/Swan "submarine" style companionway. This is a hatch mounted on the coachroof that you have to climb up out of the cockpit, step across the traveler and bridgedeck to get to. The Mark I cabin has a separate nav station and somewhat different galley. The mark I models are priced very well...because not many people want to have that style companionway these days. The Mark II has a conventional companionway and the nav station is integrated as sort of an end table to the port settee. Either way, these are really great boats and at a displacement of 22,000 lbs with a high freeboard they have the spaciousness of many 40-42ft boats.

The Wauquiez Centurion is also a very nice boat. It is designed even more like a Swan than the Hood 38 is and just beautiful to look at (as is the Hood). Incredibly sleek. They are somewhat lighter displacement and are rated faster than the Hood 38. They are newer and priced significantly higher than the Hood 38...if you can find one. The cabin is very similar to the Hood 38.

The Amphora is a completely different design and not nearly (IMHO) as nice as the Centurion or Hood.

These are solid, world cruising boats. You could not go wrong with the Hood or Centurion, if you are looking for a 38.

Hope this helps.

John
s/v Invictus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook