SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wauquiez 38
Thread: Wauquiez 38
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Wauquiez 38

NO. And I would not want sail drive. My boat has a Perkins 4-108 with a Hurth transmission and V drive. It is a nice set up. Have had no trouble whatsoever.

I believe all the Hood 38''s were IB''s. The one Centurion 38 I have seen in the US on YW looks to be an IB as well.

Other Wauquiez''s may come with saildrive, I believe other Euro boats like Bavaria do.

I think the spaciousness of the Hood 38 can be attributed to Ted Hood. He just knew how to design interiors well. And... the boat is 22,000 displ...so it is a BIG 38. Also, the freeboard is carried quite high so even though she has a beam of 11''9", it seems much much larger. I like the added feeling of security with the relatively high freeboard.

I looked at boats up to 43ft and honestly, if you did not want a large aft cabin with a centerline queen, the Hood 38 gives you as much space, often more in the main cabin. For example, look at a Morgan 43 line drawing...you will see that to accomodate the CC and aft cabin, the main salon and V berth are pinched (IMHO) forward (I found this to be true in many 42ft+ CC''s I looked at). The main salon in the Hood 38 is well amidships, at the widest beam of the boat and the forward cabin is very large. I like the aft qtr cabin for a sea berth. Of course, many couples desire a large full aft cabin.

My best to all.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook