SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lessons Learned Today (Vol. 1, Ch. 1)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
# The lagoon in the middle of the canal we transit has an island in it. Stay at least 20' off that island going out, as the depth rapidly changes from 8' to 3.5'. This is detrimental to the forward motion of a boat that has a 5' draft.
# P
It looks like there was no harm here (You'll know at pull out), but the real lesson that should have been learned here was to make sure that you have an updated chart of the water that you are navigating and consult it before heading out.

We typically avoid going into areas that are less than twice our draft at MLLW. That way I am always confident that we have enough water even at low-tide. I have to break that rule at our mooring site though as our mooring is in 10 ft/water at MLLW and our draft is 6'. 20 yards away, the depth is 12 feet, so that is always the direction that we tend to head into and from our mooring. Don't forget just because a chart says you have 10 ft of water, doesn't always mean that there aren't small areas that could be less. Why take a chance? I have never grounded.

Quote:
When attaching the jib sheets, get 'em outside all the lifelines and stanchions, not just most of 'em.
Maybe your boat is set-up differently, but I don't think a can do this and make my head sail work. The base of my Headsail furler is at least 2 feet below the bow pulpit top rail and in between the posts that mount the pulpit to the deck. The pulley/block adjusting rail is about 6 inches in from the lifelines. If I went around my lifelines, it would tangle at the bow pulpit. I also own a Pearson albeit 10M 79 Vintage.

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook