SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lessons Learned Today (Vol. 1, Ch. 1)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Hey, don't feel bad about running aground. It doesn't matter whether you are on Lake St Clair, the Mississippi (where I sail) or the pacific. there are two kinds of sailors -- those that run aground, and those that refuse to admit it. Especially on their first solo sail! Sounds like you enjoyed it, and that is what it is all about! And I am glad to hear that the Admiral docked the boat -- Too many wives won't (or aren't allowed to) take the helm. It is not good practice that your SO learns to dock the boat just after you have had a heart attack, or she is learning to turn the boat 180 degrees just after the Captain fell overboard! Fortunately for me, the last time I fell overboard (which was the first time my beloved was on a sailboat) I fell into a lake about a half mile wide. That many years ago I could easily swim a couple miles! So I soon made sure she could operate the boat under sail or motor as well as I can! I hope you both enjoy that boat enough that some day you will join the cruising community! I have 21 months until we do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook