SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Here is an interesting boat. Of course it's an American design in the old fashioned American style but it did win the first race yesterday at the Cortex Racing Association spring regatta. 2nd race was called when time lapsed. This boat also has chines. This kind of boat can take advantage of chines. So I gave it chines.

I prefer the new racer made in china without any chine, inverted bow and a huge B/D ratio. Certainly a lot faster (Simonis-Voogd designed) and a cutting edge design.

Interesting Sailboats: FAREAST 31R

As I have said previously chines are mostly used for increased control on cruisers or short crew racers. Also used on offshore crewed racing boats used in very difficult conditions and sailed extensively (VOR boats). There a better control pays off regarding a boat marginally faster but more difficult to control. You seemed to agree with this view since you call them training wheels, as in a bicycle for kids.

Chines can certainly make a boat easier to sail and increase stiffness on a given heel angle but on a boat designed to use all transom as support while heeled they can be detrimental to performance increasing drag. That's why top racing crewed new designs are not using them, or when using them use it very high on the transom, in an almost vestigial way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-21-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook