SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lessons Learned Today (Vol. 1, Ch. 1)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
It looks like there was no harm here (You'll know at pull out),
Unlikely, I think. We were doing all of 3 kts (no wake zone) and she didn't bump or lurch to a stop, she just kind of quickly slowed down to a stop . The boat that pulled us out of it was just a little I/O, that hadn't room for more than six adults, and even then only if they were real friendly. Once I got him to go on the right angle, she just pulled right off. (In fact: She pulled off so quickly and easily I was concerned the little power boat would keep pulling, we'd build up too much momentum, and have real trouble. But he stopped just about right away. Could've been the panicked yelling .)

Quote:
but the real lesson that should have been learned here was to make sure that you have an updated chart of the water that you are navigating and consult it before heading out.
We do. Brand new charts and a brand new Garmin 498 GPS/chartplotter. This is a canal. They dredge it. All the cartography says about this canal is "6'," when, in fact, it varies from 5' (yes, our draft) to at least 8' - in the "channel." Obviously they don't dredge it very close to the island. (Which only makes sense, being as dredging too close to the island would probably ultimately result in the island gradually disappearing.) Equally obviously: Those depths are "soft" soundings. (I'll know more once I get my sonar installed--which should probably be at a bit higher priority.) I am wondering why they don't have some markers indicating where the dredged part of the channel ends, tho.

Quote:
We typically avoid going into areas that are less than twice our draft at MLLW.
I'd love to have that option. I bet all Great Lakes and Lake St. Clair sailors would love that . But the lake levels are dropping. It's quite a concern. The sail club we're joining did a massive dock re-fitting w/in the last few years, making them easily height-adjustable, so they can lower them as the lake level drops. You can see from the other dock heights and the marks on the seawalls that canal is about 3' or so lower than it once was .

Quote:
Maybe your boat is set-up differently, but I don't think a can do this and make my head sail work. The base of my Headsail furler is at least 2 feet below the bow pulpit top rail and in between the posts that mount the pulpit to the deck.
So is mine. (Except I have a Tuff Luff system, rather than a furler.)

Quote:
The pulley/block adjusting rail is about 6 inches in from the lifelines.
Mine is actually outside the lifeline stanchions.

Quote:
If I went around my lifelines, it would tangle at the bow pulpit. I also own a Pearson albeit 10M 79 Vintage.
Nice boat.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook