SailNet Community - View Single Post - REALLY new to this
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2002

marubin is on a distinguished road
REALLY new to this

Hello All,
I am brand new on this forum. I have been looking for a sailing forum for "reluctant wives of sailors" for a long time to address the really important issues such as How to Keep Bikini Area Hair Free With Limited Supply of Cold Water. Now I''ve stumbled into another real issue - making coffee. Our boat is 33 ft. and we make coffee by heating water on the gas stove then pouring into a combination thermos/plunger coffee maker. I think this method is called French press or something in the states. In any event, you can make the coffee and keep it hot with only one "appliance" to wash up afterwards. They are available in yacht supply magazines. I think we paid the equivalent of $25 for ours.
We also employ one large solar panel (I know nothing about electronics) which allows us to stay out of marina$ on our 4 wk. annual tour. We run the frig 24/7 as well as a notebook computer for nav with this one panel together with charging from the diesel whenever we must motor. In case we sail all day with no motor, we just anchor and run the diesel on idle for about 40 min. to recharge.
If you''re wondering about water when staying independent of marinas, my husband goes with our rubber dingy into marinas, campgrounds ect. an fills up canisters. The dingy with motor and solar panel paid for themselves quickly by avoiding the ridiculous overnight marina fees.
Let me add that we sail in Croatia on the Adriatic and so I don''t know how touring goes where you live. We have a lot of nice anchor bays at our disposal.
OK. That''s my first of many perhaps useless postings!!!
Mary Ann
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook