SailNet Community - View Single Post - laminated sails life expectancy?, cleaning?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007

mangomike is on a distinguished road
Answers some of the questions, more help please

]Hi …. Thanks for the replies; I'll try to answer some of your questions.
1… I did speak to a person from Sailcare, Jerry I think. This was before posting my question. First of all his answer about cleaning my sail was a definite no. He does not even attempt to clean cruising laminates. He said that the normal life for a cruising laminated sail is about 10 years. I have no reason to doubt what he said, but I always check and double-check any information that I get. Especially when it comes to an item is expensive as a new main sail. Also, not that I'm cynical, but Sailcare does manufacture sails.

2.. Here's what I've been able to find out about the construction of my sail. It was made by Bainbridge (sp?) And it is laminated starting on the outside as follows; taffeta then mylar then a polyester scrim and then taffeta again. This may not be hundred percent accurate, but I'm sure it's close. This comes from the person who made the sail. He did say that mildew is a problem with this type of sail. As for the life, his feeling was closer to 15 years than 10. Keep in mind he also manufactures sails.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook