SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Lesson ASA vs. Localing Sailing Center
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007

Stryker72 is on a distinguished road
Question Sailing Lesson ASA vs. Localing Sailing Center

Ok, I am looking to take some sailing lessons this year yet. There are two paths I could take in this area and each one has it's own merits but I can't decide. I am looking to hear your opinons.

First is The ASA 101/103 sailing course. it is taught on Lake Michigan with a 30' sailboat. Standard descriptions for the course are:
Basic Learn to Sail (101) - Understand the basics of sailing in the classroom and then apply these concepts on the water. Upon completion you should be able to handle a smaller sailboat in light moderate wind and sea conditions in familiar waters. 2 - 10 hour days
Basic Coastal Cruising (103) - Learn to cruise in local and regional waters building on your skills from the first course as both Skipper and Crew of a 30’ sailboat in moderate wind and sea conditions. 2 - 10 hour days

The next option is the Milwauke Community Sailing Center. This is a little different as my membership there would allow to me to use their boats free (based on availibility), but it is not geared to bareboat chartering.

Adult Sailing Instruction
The Sailing Center’s nationally acclaimed basic sailing instruction incorporates classroom theory and on-the-water practice in an 8-session‚ 24-hour course over two weeks to make learning to sail safe‚ easy and fun. Learn basic sailing techniques like tacking‚ jibing and docking. Become familiar with boat rigging‚ sailing terms and safety inspection as well as knot tying‚ right of way and the Quick Turn crew overboard maneuver. Experienced volunteer instructors sail with students the first several sessions. After successfully completing the Basic Course‚ students earn a Light Air rating entitling them to take additional courses and participate in Open Sailing (Page 11). Adult Basic Evening and Day Courses meet Monday - Thursday for two weeks. Fridays may be used as make-up days in case of inclement weather.

I had been leaning towards the Community sailing center as it would provide a great networking oppurtunity and I would most likely learn more about sailing technique. They also have over 80 boats avialable from a Pearson Ensign, J-24s, Solings, Internation 470s, and a C&C 27. But if I go else where and want to charter would I be denied without the ASA classes? The Sailing Center also has a membership fee that I would have to pay, and it is very late in the season.

I would like to hear some opinions from others on classes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook