SailNet Community - View Single Post - consentration of boats for sale in Florida
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002

DonFoley is on a distinguished road
consentration of boats for sale in Florida

I guess I should have mentioned that while I never did find that perfect ''retiree'' boat, I did go on to buy other boats, and now sail a benecatahunter that I''m pleased as punch with.

Punta Gorda. One of my sisters lives there, and I''ve poked around the market quite a bit a few years back. For some reason there was a spate of shoal draft hunters all over the place. There was no shortage of sailboats for sale in the area when I was looking, but again, they were all green. I did come across an S2 center cockpit for $17,000 that could have been a good buy.

Anyway...the great things about sailboats is that they''re highly mobile. Even if you don''t want to sail it through the lake, or around the glades, you can ship a mid-30 foot boat across the state for far less than a grand. True, you''ll have commisioning costs, but on the other hand it''s a good time to replace the rigging and all the mast/spreader lights, clean up any instruments and give it a good once-over. Some of those older boats never had their rigging replaced, and it showed.

I''ve heard Charlotte Harbor is shallow, and it''s got a low bridge, so make sure you keep that in mind. I can''t remember the height, and my chart for the area is on the boat, but I do remember that I couldn''t make it through with a 50'' mast (someone feel free to correct me if I''m wrong on this, it''s been a while).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook