SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bridge Clearance_How little is too little....
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bridge Clearance_How little is too little....

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Ever notice that no matter how high a bridge is, when you look up just before passing under it seems like you're gonna hit
I know the 2 bridges here where we are on the Delaware river. (turnpike and Burlington/Bristol bridges are 60+ft my boat is 44 tom (top of mast)

I still get an uneasy feeling that I can' dismiss when going under. No matter how many times I've done this! Same "feeling" you get when not used to heeling, which doesn't bother me anymore.

The only bridge on the Delaware River that's low is the old DelAire bridge 47 MLT just on the south side of the Newer Betsy Ross bridge. Channel 14 on the vhf. the operator is always reluctant but does lift the bridge if there are no trains scheduled. I've never heard from the Bridge OP first. (guess that never happens)

I've wondered a few times.. if I could match speed against current and creep mere inches at a time to crawl under a bridge with my boat... don't think it's possible, is it?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 04-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook