SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat explodes in Norfolk Virginia
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Yow! That would really ruin your day . Hope the guy pulls though in good shape.

I dunno... messin' about with a propane stove... When the oven on our old kitchen range died one day, I went and got the replacement part (integrated main oven valve and pilot safety), re-cut and re-flared the fitting, and repaired the thing myself. (My brother thought I was crazy--and he'll tackle just about anything.) But here's the deal: I was exceedingly careful in my work, the gas to the stove was off while I was working on it, and I carefully tested my work after I was done. Same when I plumbed-in the natural gas grill on the patio.

Gas, natural or propane, is nothin' to mess with. I'll hack on electrical systems all day long, without a moment's hesitation, but gas scares the livin' bejesus outta me.

Jeff H,

The boat that was in the slip I'm in, or one nearby, burned damn near to the waterline, and the remaining hulk towed away, due to a fire started by the guy foolin' with a pressurized alcohol stove. (Don't recall what happened to the owner. I know he was taken away by ambulance.) True, it didn't blow up, but still...

I'm beginnin' the think cold sandwiches will do

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 08-09-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook