SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Cool phone for sure. The specs says its rated IP67. The 7 stands for water resistant to 1 meter. The photo of the snorkelor would seem a bit deceptive by the manufacturer.

In my personal experience, water tight ratings are only reliable to be about half their depth rating. Behind that was a crap shoot.

Nevertheless, great phone for a boat, where simply getting wet isn't an issue.
Interesting, my experience says they're conservative. My pentax optio camera and samsung Xplorer B2100 are both devices that I take with me when swiming, surfing, falling overboard etc.

Having a waterproof phone could save having a dead one for those unexpected BFS's. This one didn't give us all a lot of warning and maybe some of the other folks wouldn't have put on their waterproof cases. I know I was suprized at just how soaked the phone was in my pocket when I pulled it out. I've had more than one "water resistant" device die from being in a damp bag as well.

Also, the phone has already paid for itself one other time. My 2 year old spilled an entire glass of milk onto it. Not exactly the kind of think that makes for an impressive story, but the phone lived!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook