SailNet Community - View Single Post - your favorite small cruising (blue water) boat
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriCdn View Post
maybe I can add to thsi thread, what is teh smallest boat that you would feel safe in crossing the ocean, or making very long passages, who knows, maybe an extended circumnav.[...]
I'd rather have a tank of a little boat that I can afford to do 100% and have the highest quality of everything.
I am with you on the small tank concept, but for reasoning that really leads me to the conclusion that I have no business doing it yet. My primary reasoning is that with less complexity, I could master it sooner and that mastering the boat you are on is far more important than having a "better" boat that you can't run properly. A secondary thought is that at my current skill level, it is not unlikely that I would get knocked over on a crossing and the smaller the boat, the more confidence I would have in my ability to get it upright again. I think that almost any decent cruiser has a pretty good chance of making it across an ocean unscathed, but if I am gambling with my life, I want more than just pretty good odds. I was reading about the mini Transat in a book just last night, and it mentioned that it was done on a small boat specifically designed for crossing by skilled captains and yet 7 (at the time of the printing, I guess) had been lost. I think if I have a lot of questions about what makes a boat seaworthy enough, then I am not ready; forget about which boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook