SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rock Star Recalls Scary Sailing Voyage
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road
Rock Star Recalls Scary Sailing Voyage

I just read this Associated Press article and wanted to share with every one.
Having lived on and learned to sail on Lake Michigan for 15 years of my life it brought back lots of memories. Like a surprise storm when I was 3 miles off-shore on my 16'' Hobie (1974) and ended up in 12'' wave and 65 mph gusts. I lived through it and learned a lot that day.

Rock Star Recalls Scary Sailing Voyage

07/24/2002

Associated Press

PONTIAC, Mich. -- Rock star Bob Seger said this year''s Race to Mackinac was scary because of severe storms that forced at least 18 boats to drop out of the 333-mile contest from Chicago to Mackinac Island.

Seger and the crew of his 52-foot sailboat, Lightning, finished the race, but winds up to 70 mph and torrential rain split one of the boat''s sails and tipped it hard to one side.

"It was like a blow dryer blowing Lake Michigan," Seger told The Oakland Press for a story Tuesday.

"The cold water was hitting the lake and steam was rising, and the water was moving almost laterally in the wind," the 57-year-old singer said from his cabin in Good Hart. "We were OK, but it was scary. I was saying, ''Do I want to do this anymore?"''

Lightning also lost steering at one point, but finished in 33 hours, 39 minutes and 34 seconds.

Last week, Seger skippered the boat to a victory in its division in the 78th annual Port Huron-to-Mackinac Island Sailboat Race.

In the Race to Mackinac, Roy Disney''s 75-foot Pyewacket missed the storms and earned first-to-finish honors in 23 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds.

Nearly all the 296 boats that began the race Saturday had finished by Monday evening, the sponsoring Chicago Yacht Club said.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook