SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Alberg 30 owner
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007

matt1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info, now more questions

Thanks for both replies.
I figured the hull speed on paper to be about that, but I couldn't help thinking that once the boat heels (as you said) that speeds would maybe hit 7-7.5 kts. or more. I say this only because she sailed at 5 or so in fairly light wind. Where might I look for the hull#? I have only been able to get back to the boat once since we got home, even though it is only 10 minutes away, so I haven't been able to look very hard (newborn). Thanks for the heads up on the chain plates. I will look at that asap. I have looked at the alberg 30 site for some info on maintenance and trouble areas, but didn't seem to see anything on the toe rail. There has been at least one repair by a previous owner, where the section with the jenny track had been replaced. However, there is soft wood here, and it will need to be addressed. The fellow we bought the boat from pointed this out as we looked (great guy). He suggested that we bring the track inboard rather than try to replace the rail and remount the track in the original spot. He had tried to stem the rot by wrapping the affected areas in glass, but it didn't seem to help. I was initially thinking of trying to use one of the West products that you apply which wicks into comprimised wood to add strength, in order to put a full repair off for a while. Right now, the track is only attached from about the front half forward, so we can only use the track far forward or immediately change headsails if the wind picks up. Also, would you think that someone with fair to good woodworking skills would be able to make the cut in toe rail replacement, or would you suggest that we get prices from someone in this line of work. Thanks for your help, Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook