SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Fear 38
Thread: Cape Fear 38
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cape Fear 38

Jack, obviously you have never seen one of these boats in real life. They are not intended to be liveaboards and frankly that is one of the best things about them. When you look at how most people use their boats, live aboards and distance cruisers are a very small minority. Most people cruise their boats on weekends with perhaps a longer cruise of two during the season. There''s nothing worng with that and nothing wrong with a quality built boat designed specifically for that market.

What they are designed to do is sail well in a very wide range of conditions. They are designed to sail well in lighter conditions. They are far more capable of cruising offshore than many so called blue water boats.

These boats are constructed on a semi-custom basis with several different rig, engine and interior configurations. The boat at the Annapolis Show which is the boat on the website, was slanted toward racing with a pretty spartan interior. In talking with the designer there are options which would allow more storage, a larger engine and charging capacity. There is a fairly large engine room compartment and sail locker which would allow the addition of the types of electronic support that are popular today, such as a watermaker. Additional tankage was optional as was a more cruising oriented interior. While I too am not a big fan of saildrives, many highly respected builders of expensive cruising boats use them (Hallberg Rassey, Oyster, Trinetella) so I don''t think that having a sail drive excludes this boat from calling itself a cruiser. This boat comes with an anchor locker and a bowsprit to handle the anchor. On a boat this size a windlass is not necessary (I don''t have one on my 38 footer) but the anchor locker is big enough to install a windalss should some one want one.

I guess its like this, there are a lot of equally valid ways to go cruising. While some seem to think that the only valid way to go cruising is to live aboard full time, to have every whizbang gizmo and to sit in one spot for months at a time then motor up and down the intercoastal, to me it is equally valid to have a cruising boat that is intended to voyage under sail; that is simple enough to be easy to maintain, that is biased toward a good turn of speed and which is properly engineered to be both light and strong. To me this has far more validity than the so called blue water boats that are being sold to newbie cruisers who will never actually venture offshore but will spend most of thier time motoring their unsuitable boats down the Bay from marina to marina.

One thing we do agree about is that I do agree that the website has too much hype and not enough facts about the boat.
Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook