SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cooling Water Reduncancy....
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Cooling Water Reduncancy....

I don't know how often it happens to others, but of the things on my boat that can go wrong, my worst (and most expensive) fear is to have my engine quit in the most inopportune time (moorign field, try to out run a storm, etc.) From the discussions here, the cooling system, whether it be a clogged sea strainer, broken impeller, or clogged inlet seacock seem to be the prime culprits. My engine has aways been good to me. (knock on wood...)

I was thinking of an idea of installing a back-up cooling water source to cool the engine in case something happen to the primary. To do this, I would T off the inlet port after the seacock, and put a shut-off valve on the T-ed line. On the back side of the shut-off valve, I would install a high flow water pump and then off the back of the water pump, it would re-T into the existing line.

If the sea strainer or impeller goes on the primary, I could open the by-pass valve, turn on the water pump, and get water to the engine. Yes, I'd now not have a strainer, but the fix is just temporary until I could get an anchor out, to a dock, or mooring to avid a sticky situation. and then deal with the problem. This would be for singlehanding situations.

Am I nuts?

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook