SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Fear 38
Thread: Cape Fear 38
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cape Fear 38

I own a Farr 11.6 (Farr 38) which was built in Capetown in the early 1980''s. I understand that these boats are reasonably common down there with something over 50 of them built to varying degrees of finish. I understand that at least some were sold as kit boats and finished as stripped out racers but the ones that I have seen up here in the States that were factory finished from Capetown, my own boat included, were nicely finished as a long distance cruisers and racers. When I began researching these boats I kept finding almost contradictory references to how these boats were being used but all seemed to suggest that these boats were being sailed in tough venues and holding quite well.

As to the Tartan 372, Tartans of the early 1990''s were reasonably well built coastal cruisers. I really do not know that specific model very well. I raced against one with my last boat, a Laser 28. They seemed to sail pretty well in a medium breeze and were at their best on a beat. The boat was well sailed but I generally beat them boat for boat. That is actually good performance in the lighter stuff we raced in for a 37 foot boat with as nice and interior as the 372. I like the layout of the 472 with the head, nav station and galley aft. But they are not exactly my kind of boat. I personally also think that I would stay away from the shoal draft (4''9") keel model as that is too shallow for decent comfort of motion or speed for a 37 footer but I''ve never sailed one so I could be surprised.

Good luck,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook