SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Attalia
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Dave, welcome!

Although this may be an old thread, when I'm on Sailnet I do check it. I'm not as active now because the boat is still on the hard so I'm not gaining any sailing or other experience . (The Attalia is our first "big" boat and my only sailing experience before was on daysailors).

I've always found "Waymar" to be forgiving and frankly, easy to sail. same principles as a daysailor (we also have the tiller steering, which I've come to appreciate). We've also cruised lake Ontario for up to 8 days with 2 adults, 5 teenagers and a dog (and we had a great time). Most of the time we are 5-6 people on board for 3-4 days at a stretch - no problems.

She will go back in the water next summer and I can't wait. I have alot of projects to improve performance, comfort and looks.

Where will you be sailing? Its a good thing to hire a captain and get some onboard coaching for the first few times. We found that it was not the sailing that was the difficult part but the docking . especially in close quarters.....

Practice taking her out and bringing her in many times... do it when you have experienced help around and when there are NOT alot of people around watching.

The other bit of advice for now is ALWAYS monitor the weather. Keep ahead of the weather, know what is coming and prepare yourself for it before it comes and you will be fine.

The final bit is remember that she draws 5'9"" (unless you have the centreboard version), which is surprisingly deep for a boat like that. - just keep an eye on the charts and the depthsounder...

"bottleinamessage" thanks for sharing the the link to your blog. You have alot of skills. (and guts to tear out the main saloon and rebuild - wow and it looks great!). Compared to the 32ft Attalia your 42 has alot of room...

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook