SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Fear 38
Thread: Cape Fear 38
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cape Fear 38

South Africa has an excellent reputation for reasonably priced composite and metalurgical work these days. I have been very impressed with the workmanship on my boat although the factory finished S.A. boats are a little heavier than the original design weight while the New Zealand built boats seem to be closer to the original weight. Several of South African Dudley Dix''s monohull designs have also won boat of the year awards here and abroad.

I think, in principle, that you probably could safely cruiser to Hawaii and back on a boat like the Tartan. By that I mean that the build quality should be adequate. I am not sure about the interior layout and whether there would be adequate storage for that kind of passage. I would think that there would be a fair amount of fit ouT required with such items as a stove crash bar, weather cloths for the settees, storm sails and so on.

BTW, I did not find that it was that hard to finance an offshore boat. At one point I looked into buying a S.A. Farr 11.6. It involved financing the boat twice but it wasn''t that hard. The bank was willing to issue a letter of credit in the amount of the purchase (I had to deposit my 25% of the purchase price with the bank). I had to have the boat insured for 100% of the amount of the loan which was not that hard or expensive (pre 9/11). The boat had to be U.S. Documented prior to shipping. Once the boat was in the States I first had to get permanent financing. Shipping was not cheap but it was not that hard as there are boat yards that specialize in preparing boats for shipping in S.A. The Farr 11.6''s in S.A. were substantially less expensive then the ones I found in the States, but with shipping and everything they were close to the same price.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook