SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Fear 38
Thread: Cape Fear 38
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cape Fear 38

The Shearwater looks like a nice boat. It won Cruising World Boat of the Year a few years back and the article should be available on the Cruising World magazine Website.
http://www.cruisingworld.com/cw_index.php. Cruising World is running a series of articles from an editor who is cruising a Sheerwater 39 (Log of Ithaka). Very revealing.

I exchanged email with Dudley Dix <dd@dixdesign.com> , the designer of the Shearwater series, who was most helpful to me when I was researching the Farr 11.6. I am a big fan of his DIDI 38. I don''t think that the Shearwater offers the same level of sailing performance that you might expect from the Tartan but sure looks like a neat boat.

I also exchanged email with Jannie Ruppersberg at International Yacht Brokers in South Africa <iybcape@iafrica.com> . I thought that they were extremely professional and responsive. To some extent,it was primarily because of their professionalism that I even considered trying to put a deal together on a boat that was in South Africa. In the end my partner in the deal was quite nervous about trying to pull this together and while he was mulling this all over a Farr 11.6 came up for sale in Maine and we bought that one.

All of that said, the absolute best deals on neat boats were in New Zealand. The problem there for me was shipping them to the U.S. east coast. In the Pacific North West, you might do better with a boat from NZ. The New Zealanders have an extremely good reputation for their boat building skills and tend to design and build boats that offer a wonderful balance of good performance and offshore ability.

Good luck,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook