SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol Channel Cutter
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Yes, yes, and yes.

They are designed by the late Lyle Hess, similar to the Serrafyn (sp?) design he did for the Pardeys, and built by Samuel L. Morse company. Some were factory finished, others bought as kits and finished by owners. Morse recently closed up and sold the moulds, tooling, etc to Cape George Boatworks, a builder of similar but larger boats base on William Atkin (late) designs.

There is one at the mooring immediately adjacent to us, and it is a pleasure to behold. They are traditional, full keel boats with long sprits and cutter rigged. Very long waterline for their length, too. The standard interior is a little quirky (workshop forward where normally a v-berth is found), but those who've owned them speak highly of the layout. I wouldn't want one if sailing with a family aboard, though, too tight.

There is a brokerage in Annapolis that specializes in BCCs. You could probably learn a lot from them. I would tell you their name but I don't think that's allowed here. Hope this helps some.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook