SailNet Community - View Single Post - Racing Cal 9.2
Thread: Racing Cal 9.2
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Racing Cal 9.2

The Cal 9.2 was a Ron Holland design. They were intended as IOR Racers and IOR Racer Cruisers. There were really two different models of the the 9.2. The R version had a lead keel and were reasonably competitive as new boats. The Stock version had a cast iron keel and these were never competitive. These boats were designed duing the worst period of the IOR rule and have hull forms and ballasting that is forever linked to the Fastnet Disaster especially sonce most of the loss off life occurred on Holland designed boats.

These boats were known for a number of problems. Structurally they had problems at the where the mast hits the deck. This area was not properly designed originally and on several of the 9.2''s that I have been aboard the deck has crushed and rotated or else been rebuilt. They also had an experimental liner system similar to that used in comercial aircraft of that era. Unfortunately this system did not stand up to the amount of flexing encountered on small boats of that era.

In terms of sailing, they were pretty fast upwind but really gave away a lot of speed on other points of sail. They were not very good in light air or in heavy conditions. They tend to be very rolly down wind in heavier condions. Like many masthead rig boats of this era they needed a large inventory of sails to be competitive. (On a crack race version, you would expect to have a storm jib, blade, Number 1, 2, and 3 genoa plus a light weight genoa, a reaching and a running spinacker and a mainsail. As race boats they were really obsolete almost as soon as they hit production with boats like J-29''s and J-30''s cleaning their clock in PHRF and MORC and IOR on the decline. Literally the year after the design hit the water the IOR changed and so did the boast that were competitive under the rule. With PHRF ratings in the 166 to 172 range this is a pretty slow 30 footer for that era. (J-30 for example rates 144)
The particulars from an ad show LOA: 30'' Beam: 10''4 Draft: 5''7 Ballast: 2730. If I remember right they typically had a two cyl Universal diesel with an option of a 3 cyl Yanmar. Water: 21 gals

In conclusion, these are OK boats that are not exceptional at any one thing. They can be bought pretty cheaply but I don''t think of them as being race boats any longer except prehaps for club racing in a non-competitive environment. There are guys who raced them successfully in the past but I think those days have past.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook